Wednesday 9 March 2011

The Olympics are coming

I cannot believe the international games are a little over a year away. It is so exciting. As a little boy growing up in California, I first became obsessed with the games (or rather the cultural elements such as the opening ceremonies, cultural events, national pride waltzing with international fraternity, and pin trading) while the run up to the 1984 games in Los Angeles. I have been hooked ever since, recording the opening ceremonies each 2 years (winter and summer games both draw my attention). Greece and China had stunning openings, and I am excited to see what the UK does having had some huge ideas of my own around the potential.

Having lived in the UK for 25 years this summer, I feel privileged to be watching the development of games here in the UK. I was able to actively work in planning the sexual health aspects of the games in one of my roles. And was pleased to buy my first London 2012 pins when the shop opened at St Pancras Station. And here we are waiting.

In this time of austerity and cuts, I am actually pleased we are hosting the games. It gives us something to look forward to and helps us build a legacy. Just as the last time the UK hosted the games decades ago left a legacy that lasts today, I am hoping for a greater opportunity in these games, and I am looking forward to joining the international celebrations.

I hope you love the games, the friendships to be made, and another link in the historical chain that bonds London to ancient traditions in modern ways. And my son is only a year younger than I was when my love affair began. I hope it may long continue. Here's to 2012.

No comments: